18 Facts That Make Houston The Best City In America
When you think about Houston, Texas, you probably picture massive oil refineries, oppressive humidity, and a sub-par baseball team — a far cry from one of the nation’s most up-and-coming cities.
But you shouldn’t dismiss Houston so easily; the Bayou City is an economic juggernaut.
It’s by far the country’s No. 1 job creator and home to 26 Fortune 500 companies. A paycheck goes farther here than anywhere else in the country, and it has a medical center larger than downtown Dallas.
Add a thriving restaurant and cultural scene, and you’ve got a winning case for Houston as the best city in America. Here are 18 reasons you may want to pack your bags and head south.
Here are 18 reasons you may want to pack your bags and head south
1. It’s got the jobs. Houston is the No. 1 city for job creation in the U.S. By a lot.
2. Houston is home to more Fortune 500 company headquarters than anywhere in America except for New York.
3. It hosts the world’s largest concentration of healthcare organizations, with scientists working hard to beat cancer.
4. It’s one of the centers of America’s lucrative oil and gas industry.
5. Houston’s unemployment rate is significantly below the national level.
6. Massive international trade gives another big jobs boost to the rapidly growing city.
7. Houston is called Space City for a reason. It’s home of the NASA Astronaut Corps.
8. A paycheck goes farther in Houston than any other major metropolitan area.
9. Houston recently passed New York to become the most ethnically and racially diverse city in the U.S.
10. There’s a spectacular range of ethnic cuisines, fantastic seafood, and great barbecue.
11. The New York Times calls it “one of the country’s most exciting places to eat.”
12. Housing is more affordable here. Houston didn’t experience a housing bubble the way the rest of the country did.
13. Houston’s got more parks than any other top-10 metropolitan area.
14. The combination of the University of Houston and Rice University means there are a bunch of smart people around.
15. The city is filled with unique, world-class museums and cultural landmarks, like the Rothko Chapel.
16. Houston has one of the largest rodeos in the world.
17. Ignore the Astros. The Texans, Rockets, and Dynamo are all winners.
18. And finally, it’s a great place for Southern hip hop!
Read more here: businessinsider.com/houston-best-city-in-america-2014-6